Founded in 1984, The Canadian Society for Mucopolysaccharide and Related Diseases Inc. (The Canadian MPS Society) is celebrating its 30th anniversary. For the past three decades, the Society has been committed to providing support to individuals and families affected with MPS and related diseases, educating medical professionals and the general public about MPS, and raising funds for research so that one day there will be cures for all types of MPS and related diseases.
The Board of Directors is seeking to fill the position of Executive Director (ED). A qualified candidate is a compassionate, dedicated and resourceful person, who will be responsible for providing support and education to Canadian individuals and families living with MPS and related diseases. The ED will oversee administrative duties, including program management, event planning, and communications, and ensure the Society is following its strategic plan.
• Drive, manage and monitor fundraising initiatives including grant writing, annual fund campaigns and events
• Coordinate conferences, regional meetings and board meetings
• Educate government and policy makers about issues important to the MPS community
• Manage donor development
• Liaise with affected families on an ongoing basis
• Facilitate and coordinate research funding grants including distribution of research funds
• Establish and maintain positive relationships with leaders from the rare disease advocacy community, researchers, key opinion leaders in the medical field and industry professionals
• Manage communications including website, social media, newsletters, annual reports and educational materials
Key Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to listen empathetically
• Facilitation and mediation skills an asset
• Self-motivating personality
• Understanding of non-profit governance and familiarity with working with an independent board
• Understanding of MPS diseases or a commitment to learn about them
• Ability and willingness to secure financial support
• Strong public relations skills
The compensation package includes a base salary commensurate with experience, an additional 5% payment in lieu of benefits and 4 weeks of vacation time. A bonus incentive program will be provided.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are invited to submit both their cover letter and resume in either PDF or Microsoft word format to [email protected]
Application deadline: June 15, 2014
Start Date: August 1, 2014